Indy Library Installations

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

“A public library is the most enduring of memorials, the trustiest monument for the preservation of an event or a name or an affection; for it, and it only, is respected by wars and revolutions, and survives them."

On the circle in downtown Indianapolis there is a book installation called "Monument". It is one of eight installations throughout the city. Each one has a unique way of sharing books (for free) with the public. I love that my city has done this! The Monument exhibit includes the Mark Twain quote above in part of its design. Below is a complete explanation of the series. I just love it!
"The Public Collection is a public art and literacy project developed to improve literacy, foster a deeper appreciation of the arts, and raise awareness for educational justice in our community.
  Through a curated process, Indiana-based artists were commissioned to design unique book share stations or lending libraries that are installed in public spaces around Indianapolis. The Public Collection stations are free and available to everyone. You can borrow and return books at your leisure."
Photos by me. 


2 comments:

JReiss said...

This year I read Shadow of the Wind and Between Light and Shadow from this library. I love it!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

JReiss - I love that it's being put to good use!