Hyde Brothers Books

Friday, May 9, 2014

 

Indiana is not flush with great used bookstores, or bookstores at all for that matter. We have a few good Half Priced Books and Barnes and Nobles. We also have some unique hole-in-the-wall spots, but they are becoming more rare. My personal favorite remains Indy Reads Books, but I recently discovered a new gem. Hyde Brothers Booksellers in Fort Wayne is just a dream for bibliophiles.


It's located in Fort Wayne, which unfortunately is nowhere near me. There are towering stacks of books around every turn. Ladders help employees reach the highest shelves in each aisle. I found a 1948 copy of I Capture the Castle, one of my personal favorites, and it came home with me.


When you head down the rabbit hole into the basement, you discover a second floor of books. Eventually I came upon another staircase that took me back to the main floor in a different spot. It was just perfect. I can't wait to go back and stay for a longer stretch of time.

Are there any incredible bookstores that you guys have discovered in your states?

Photos by moi.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, Hyde Books looks pretty amazing. I love the carpeting. I was really surprised when i moved to Edinburgh that there are no really great book stores here. There are a couple of good ones, but none that make me drool. (did i just reveal too much?)

Sandy Nawrot said...

After college I lived in Ft. Wayne and was there for years, and never found this place! Honestly I was probably too busy starting a new career and meeting my husband. But wow. Guess I know where I'll be going when I get back there! We have crap here in Orlando. It is frustrating. It is B&N or nuthin.

Anonymous said...

Hyde Brothers looks like a lovely place! There used to be a few stores like that in my area when I was a teenager, but only one exists now. We have a couple of Barnes and Nobles, but it looks like those are on the verge of disappearing too. My book browsing is largely limited to the library and the Internet.

Meg @ write meg! said...

Oooh, how cool! We have hardly any bookstores around here -- just a nearby Books-A-Million, which I am happy to have -- and no indies, so I'm always a wee bit jealous seeing them in others' towns. :) Love that copy of I Capture the Castle, also one of my favorites!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

52booksorbust - I'm right there with you. I love a bookstore that can make me drool :)

Sandy - This place has been open for just over 20 years. I just wish it was close enough that I could browse there on a Saturday!

misfortuneofknowing - They are so rare now!

Meg - We have very few too. This bookstore is about 3 hours from where I live. It's always exciting to find one as wonderful as it is though!

Jillian said...

So beautiful! I love that 'more books downstairs' sign. There's a bookstore here in SF like that, and it's just magical! That edition of I Capture the Castle is gorgeous too.

Carol E. said...

I'm just a little biased, but my favorite is Cherry Street Books in Alexandria, MN... owned and run by my sister. It's a GREAT independent bookstore, she carries such wonderful books and other stuff, too.. even wonderful socks. Glad I found your blog.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Jillian - I loved that too! You had some incredible bookstores in SF. I can't wait to visit this again one day.

Carol E - Oh wow, I'm going to have to check that one out!