Bloggiesta

Thursday, March 27, 2014

 
I've never participated in Bloggiesta. I know, I'm a bad blogger. I've always meant to, but it just hasn't happened. If you haven't heard of it before, it's just a few days where tons of bloggers make a commitment to tackle a few of those blog maintenance tasks that seems to pile up. You can find more details here. I keep a running list of things I need to do on the blog, but there are always a couple things that I never seem to get around to. This year I'm joining in and below is my list of tasks I'm hoping to complete.

To Do List:
1) Work on my REVIEWS page. I have a page where I was planning on listing all my reviews in alphabetical order of the authors' last names. But every time I think about starting I realize I have about 1,000 reviews to add to the page and I decide to do it another time. I'm going to get as many added in as I possibly can. **UPDATE** I've now got all of my 2013 reviews posted! Only 3 more years to go!

2) Make texts with links show up as a different color. When I recently had my blog redesigned I realized that links no longer showed up as a different color on my blog. I have been trying to figure out how to fix this, but no luck so far.

3) Increase margins around photos. Another change that happened with the blog design that I can't figure out how to fix.

4) Write at least 4 blog posts and schedule them.

Any tips on how to make these changes would definitely be appreciated!

14 comments:

Marsar said...

Hi! Good luck with your tasks :-D.

About margins, I make use of this tutorial at Blogger Buster whenever I need to tweak them, but I'm clueless as to how it will work on a custom template. Hope that helps :-D.

Arenel said...

About links: go to template->customize->advanced->links and choose whatever color you wish! Hope that helps! And good luck with linking all your reviews! Sounds like a hell of a job! :)

Arenel said...

Oh, ok, I see you've already done this :) My feedly is a bit behind :))

Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate said...

Great To Do list for Bloggiesta! This has encouraged me to sit down and make my own list for improvements!
Happy Reading,
Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

Andi said...

Good luck on your task list!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything. And for the record this is only my 2nd Bloggiesta.

LindyLouMac said...

Well I have never even heard of it before today so I must be a very bad blogger! I was trying to find your review of A Husband's Secret but have been unable to do so. Do you have a search facility on your blog, missed it if you have.

Melody Simpson said...

Great progress! Yes, get that reviews page done! I finally went through my reviews list last year and am so happy I did! :)

Unknown said...

Great work, especially so since this is your first time participating!! I really look forward to these, they motivate me to get some things done. Good luck with the final stretch!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Marsar - Thank you!

Ekaterina Egorova - That's awesome, thanks you!

Rebecca - I love having an excuse to sit down and get some of these things done!

Andi - Thanks!

52booksorbust - I will definitely be joining in again. This was a great motivator to get some things done.

LindyLou Mac - My post on the Husband's Secret is scheduled to go up on Thursday. When I had my blog redesigned the designer somehow deleted my search box and I haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Melody - I made a huge dent in it, but I have a long way to go.

Shannon - I got so much more done than I thought I would!

thecuecard said...

Did you do your own redesign? Have someone do it? I'm thinking of changing from Drupal to Wordpress but still have made the change. hmm
http://www.thecuecard.com/

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

thecuecard - I hired someone to do it. I was happy with the design, but frustrated with how hard it was to communicate with the designer. It took months for her to finish and then she never responded to my questions about things she'd forgotten to add in and info she'd deleted.

Brona said...

I wish I'd read this post a week ago...guess I will have to wait another year to tidy up my blog :-P

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Brona - In the past I've just made improvements whenever I had time. This time it just happened to coincide with Bloggiesta!